LOVE FOR WAFFLES AND FUN FACTS
Who loves waffles? Everyone!! Hence there are two days dedicated to celebrating the love of the waffle. Let’s read about some waffle fact while tucking in some sweet pieces!!
- Waffle Day originally began in Sweden as Våffeldagen. The day historically marks the beginning of spring and is celebrated by the eating waffles.
- The word “waffle” came from Dutch which means “wafer”.
- Thomas Jefferson was the first to return to the US from France with a waffle iron in 1800’s.
- The first frozen waffles appeared in supermarket freezer section in 1953.
- In the US, National Waffle Day is celebrated on August 24, marking the day waffle iron was first patented. The patent was registered under Cornelius Swarthout in 1869.
- In 1964 world’s fair in New York when Maurice Vermersch sold fluffy Brussels waffles, he did not think many people knew where Brussels was, so he called them “Belgian Waffles” instead.
- The Waffle House chain has sold more than 500 million waffles since it was established back in 1955.
- Parry Gripp created a song called “Do you like Waffles?”, to celebrate his love for waffles.