If you couldn’t tell already – I LOVE spicy food.
So much so that I would be the girl with a bottle of Sriracha attached to her keys and chili powder in her makeup bag. What can I say? When a flavor emergency hits – girl has got to be ready!
Thankfully, living in Houston, hotness is a commodity we rarely fall short of. And, nothing makes me more excited for the summer season than oodles of my favorite vegetable! There’s something real special about freshly roasted corn that makes the strings of my heart sing!
And yes, I love this that much.
For those of you that know me, 5 – star dining, white linen napkins, water that costs more than my meal – is just not my cup of tea.
I want paper napkins and my money’s worth with huge portions and explosions of flavor. Then you can say, you’ve officially got me hooked!
With graduation coming around for so many of my close friends, I cant help but remember one of the precious and simplest memories of my undergrad career. During breaks – my friends and I would sneak off to the sketchiest place in town to have the BEST roasted Mexican street corn. Money was tight and time was scarce but that’s precisely what made us treasure these moments all that much.
Nothing said bliss more our faces covered in corn, sour cream, cheese and chili. We held on to each other for dear life as we ate. But, we loved it. Of course, our hips did too.
So! In the effort of celebrating Cinco de Mayo and reminiscing on some sweet memories – here’s my healthy rendition of my favorite Mexican Street Corn!
Mexican Street Corn
This roasted street corn recipe is easy to make, full of rich flavors, and absolutely delicious! Feel free to add some more chili powder on top for an extra kick!
PREP TIME: 10 MINS
COOK TIME: 30 MINS
TOTAL TIME: 40 MINS
Serves 4 people
- 4 ears of sweet corn – husks on
- 1/2 cup of light mayo (or greek yogurt)
- 1/2 cup of light sour cream
- 1 cup of light parmesean cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 2 limes juiced
- 2 tablespoons garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons red chili powder
- salt to taste (optional)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees
- Place corn directly on the baking rack and roast for 30-45 mins until fully cooked. You may remove the husks and bake, if you want the added color.
- In a bowl, combine mayo or greek yogurt, sour cream and garlic powder. Set aside.
- Empty parmesan onto a shallow plate and set aside. Keep cilantro in a separate bowl, as well.
- Once the corn is cooked, remove the husks. Brush on the mayo / sour cream mixture.* Transfer to the plate with parmesan and roll the corn in it so all sides are coated.
- Sprinkle on the red chili powder and squeeze a lime wedge on top.
- Top off with cilantro and serve immediately.
*Feel free to brush on as much or as little of the mayo mixture onto the corn. I love keeping the flavor of the corn so my preference is for a light spread (as pictured)*